EAP Trainings – 2021 Schedule
Research shows that an investment in training can promote a healthier workplace culture. Our acclaimed training classes can help employees, managers and supervisors improve well-being, develop important skills, and identify and deal with issues in the workplace before they become bigger problems. We also offer a variety of wellness trainings we can provide at your workplace.
“I’ve taken a lot of different leadership classes over the past 20 years and this is definitely at the top of the list!”
– An EAP employee
A seven part series teaching supervisory and leadership skills to integrate behaviors that build engagement, help reduce defensive responses when holding staff accountable, and build trust among work groups. The goal of this series is to help leaders and supervisors prevent employee relations problems and support resolution of job performance issues. This series will be offered three times in 2021 and is designed for supervisors or managers, but anyone interested in the topic is welcome. See below for class descriptions. To register visit our REGISTRATION CALENDAR. Registration opens one month prior to first training date of series.
WINTER SERIES: 3:30pm to 5:00pm by Zoom invite.
SPRING SERIES: 8:30am to 10:00pm by Zoom invite.
FALL SERIES: 10:30am to 12:00pm By Zoom invite.
Session #1 People Smart Management
Covers fundamental skills to give positive and negative feedback to resolve job performance, problem behavior, and conflict while minimizing anger and defensiveness:
- Ingredients of Constructive Feedback: the “Breakfast of Champions”
- Consider critical variables prior to intervention
- The Ladder of Inference: Avoiding conclusions that escalate conflict
Session #2: What Kind of Leader Are You?
Are leaders born or made? Join us as we explore the wide range of leadership styles and examine the strengths and challenges of various approaches. Participants will have an opportunity to learn more about their own leadership styles and gain insights into how to develop skills and techniques to enhance their natural abilities.
Session #3: Positive Communication to Build an Engaged Team
No matter where you find yourself in life you must be able to communicate effectively in order to be successful. Everything that happens in the workplace is affected by good or bad communication. This workshop will provide an opportunity to acquire and refine those communication skills that are the keys to any successful leader’s performance.
Building an effective and engaged team involves understanding how to bring individual and organizational needs together in a way that leads to success for all parties. Effective leaders must help to motivate and inspire creativity in others, facilitate a process that will clarify common goals for the team, and involve the team in developing an effective action plan to achieve these goals. This workshop will provide specific strategies for enhancing team effectiveness:
- Create a culture that inquires about situational realities in the workplace
- Ask strategic questions that strengthen relationships by clarifying facts and avoiding accusations: Open ended and probing questions
- Using perception checks to open discussion and reduce anger
Session #4: Finding Paths through Conflict
Leaders know that conflict is inevitable, but many lack the skills necessary to utilize conflicts to strengthen the team rather than derail it. This workshop will provide a framework for understanding how conflict develops, ways in which a supervisor can intervene to resolve issues, and strategies to empower employees to address potential conflicts as they arise. Covers the decision model to select a conflict management strategy while holding people accountable:
- Handling Conflict with Style: Different conflicts require different conflict strategies
- Universal Job Expectations: Recognizing the importance of technical and interpersonal skills
Session #5: Coaching and Correcting Job Performance
Supervisors have many opportunities to coach their workers to be more skillful. Opportunities arise when an employee needs to learn and practice better job skills or better interpersonal skills and when a worker needs to stop certain actions as well (managing anger, for example). This workshop will focus on helping supervisors define what specific behaviors need to be changed, teach staff how to increase or stop these behaviors, set time tables, and evaluate progress. Specific strategies to encourage and motivate employees will also be discussed.
In addition, we will outline the resources at Cascade Behavioral Health & EAP that are available to assist supervisors in their roles, including supervisory coaching, mandatory employee referrals, and training opportunities. Helping employees to be more skillful is a great gift to individual workers and to the entire workplace!
Session #6: Generations in the Workplace
The 75 million baby boomers who make up 45 percent of the workplace are now starting to retire. Our workplace will change! We may understand and be accustomed to the beliefs and values of the baby boomers, but we now need to be able to understand the characteristics of successive generations. The difference in values and beliefs, views on authority, career goals, and work-life balance can be confusing and we may unintentionally harbor judgments and stereotypes. You will gain an overview of the four generations present in the workplace today and strategies for motivating and working with each one.
Session #7: Leadership in Times of Organizational Change and Transition
Contemporary leaders face challenges that were unimaginable even a few short years ago. The future promises even greater changes and challenges within the workplace and in the world at large. Leaders are in the unique position to find opportunities amidst changes and help others successfully navigate them. This workshop will focus on identifying these future challenges and utilizing tools such as creativity, networking, and empowerment necessary for success in this diverse and ever-changing environment. We will also address “emotional intelligence” in the workplace to improve effectiveness and explore ways to help organizations and individuals build resilience.
Health & Wellness Offerings:
The following is a list of health and wellness trainings that Cascade Behavioral Health & EAP can provide at your workplace location. Contact Jodi DePaoli at 541-345-2800 for more information.
Communication: How to stay cool in hot conversations
Everyone knows what it’s like to be in a difficult conversation: you can’t think straight, speak clearly, or listen effectively! In this workshop you will learn the neuroscience of conflict and how to navigate these challenging situations more effectively. A few of the topics that will be covered:
- How and why the brain is activated in conflict
- Discerning your own specific triggers
- Real life tools and strategies to apply to your most difficult and challenging communications
Self-Care: Tools to Build Resilience
Do you know that making yourself a priority is not selfish but actually a requirement for healthy living? Building a strong foundation of self-care will help you handle whatever life throws your way. Come to this workshop to:
- Learn what self-care is and what self-care is not
- Discover the benefits of a commitment to self-care and the consequences of not making this a priority
- Create a personalized self-care plan that you can implement immediately
The Center for Disease Control has determined that SLEEP is a public health crisis. More of us are struggling to get a good night’s sleep than ever before. In this workshop you will:
- Learn the science behind healthy sleep and why it is so important
- Discover the important elements of a good night’s sleep and create your own “sleep plan”
- Practice sleep enhancing techniques to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer
Brain Science and Stress: Learn tools that really work
Neuroscience has exploded in the last ten years and we now know so much more about how to manage stress! In this workshop you will:
- Learn the latest in brain research on stress and how it impacts you
- Practice tools that help release stress and shift you to a higher “brain state”
- Strengthen your skills in recognizing and transforming your state of stress so you can experience less stress and more joy!
- Build a “resiliency” toolbox to support your well-being regardless of what life throws your way
Goal Setting that Works
We all know that resolutions tend to fall flat. Learn how to set and follow through with goals that have meaning for you. In this workshop you will:
- Learn what works and what does not work when it comes to effective goals
- Get support and practice in setting positive, motivating goals for yourself
- Develop skills and a plan that you can use throughout the year as you make the changes that are most important to you
Mindfulness practice has been shown to enhance a person’s sense of well-being, healthy
behavior choices, to increase capacity to handle life’s stressful events, and to improve the physical symptoms that accompany stress. In this class, you will learn how to make your day-to-day experience the basis for a mindfulness practice. In this workshop you will:
- Learn what mindfulness is and how it can improve your sense of well-being
- Practice strategies to become more mindful through guided exercises
- Explore how to incorporate mindfulness into your daily life
Take a Stress Break
Are you feeling overwhelmed? Burned out? Then come to this training workshop to learn and experience strategies that calm the body and mind in the midst of a stressful world. We guarantee you will feel calmer and more relaxed when you walk out the door.
- Learn the negative effects of stress on the body
- Acquire practical tools to cope with stress in your daily life
- Practice mindfulness exercises you can use anytime to de-stress
It’s not just about the money. Are you concerned about how you are going to create a graceful retirement for yourself? This workshop will help you:
- Visualize your ideal retirement
- Explore who you are now and where you are heading
- Explore your use of time and social connections
Controlling Technology Use: How to have a healthy relationship with your smart phone
Do you have nomophobia? Yes, there is a term for the separation anxiety many people feel when separated from their mobile device. Smart phones have brought a lot of good things to our world, however, there is more and more proof that they are affecting our health and our relationship in negative ways. In this training we will discuss creating positive relationships and personal boundaries in a world run by technology.
- Learn how your brain is affected by technology
- Examine your technology habits and motivations
- Create healthier behavior and boundaries with your devices
Coping with Change and Transition
Life is full of times of change, transition and uncertainty. Whether it is a job change, financial insecurity, a health scare or a shaky relationship, we are often going about our day with a mind full of worry and stress. In this training you will learn practical tips you can utilize in your daily life, to help with symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression during times of uncertainty, change and transition.
Come join us and learn how to make small but significant changes to create a healthier lifestyle. In the workshop you will:
- Learn about the “health at any size, with any condition” model
- Learn how to use the principles of habit change to make changes in your life
- Get support in developing a plan toward greater health and happiness
- Practice tools that will help you move forward
The research is conclusive—each small step you make toward greater health and happiness counts! Let us help you get there.
How to Beat the Blues
Learn the causes of depression as well as the symptoms different people experience when battling depression. Medication is not always necessary to treat mild to moderate depression. This training will discuss ways to treat and manage depression holistically.
More Skills, Less Pills: Managing chronic pain
Chronic pain can impact all aspects of your life, from relationships and work, to your mood and everyday activities. In this workshop you will learn:
- The biology of chronic pain—how pain gets “stuck”
- Tools to help you manage the pain
- Lifestyle changes that will make a big difference
- How to build in activity again and get the support you need
If you or a loved one suffers from pain, please join us to get the support and information you need to improve the quality of your life and increase your strength in coping.
ON-SITE CUSTOM TRAININGS:
We offer customized, on-site workplace trainings designed to fit your industry, your regulatory needs and your unique culture. Some popular trainings include:
- Preventing Violence
- Managing Disruptive Employee Behaviors
- Drug & Alcohol Education and Reasonable Suspicion
SCHEDULE YOUR NEXT EAP TRAINING:
For questions or to schedule an on-site training, please call 541-345-2800 , or email: CascadeHealthEAP@cascadehealth.org.
To sign up for classes, visit our registration calendar.